Sunday, February 18, 2007

Movie Nite

B. and I watched "Gone With the Wind." He'd never seen it and I hadn't seen it since I saw it for the first and only time at FSU. It's a classic movie. Watch it, if you haven't already. It's a powerful love story that has a lot to it.

It's a long movie, the longest I've ever seen (it even has an intermission and entr'acte, not to mention an overture). The CD contained the first part on one side and the second part on the other.

I never read the novel by Margaret Mitchell, upon which the movie was based. Some people dislike this book, claiming that it glorifies slavery. I didn't find that to be the case in the movie.

Perhaps the idea that masters and slaves had affectionate emotional bonds offends some people's modern political sensibilities. But I'm sure it's true that masters and slaves did have such bonds (look at Thomas Jefferson, for example, or watch "Rome"). At any rate, it's a very complicated issue and one, I think, not easily reducible to an oppressor/oppressed paradigm in which the only operative emotions are negative and destructive.

No comments: