Saturday, February 16, 2008

Rancor in the blogs

While I've been dealing with some personal issues lately and thus haven't been doing much writing, the bitter Clinton-bashing by the Obama supporters hasn't escaped me.

While I have nothing against Obama and think he would make a great president someday (I voted for Hillary in the Florida primary), I can't get over the rank nastiness of some of the pro-Obama bloggers. I never thought I'd see the day when so-called "liberal" bloggers would resort to the sort of Clinton-smearing that normally you'd find in the mainstream media and on Fox News. The Republicans must be eating this up.

Also, the fanatical fervor that these bloggers and many other Obama supporters have for Obama is frightening. It's so highly irrational. I'm shocked that otherwise thinking people would turn into raving maniacs over a candidate. They talk about hearing the speeches and being converted. Adolf Hitler made rousing speeches too and got the people behind him. I think we have to be a little more circumspect when choosing our candidates for president. (And I'm not even equating Obama with Hitler. I'm talking about the mania that seizes people.)

See this post from Left Coaster. See in particular this link to an article ("The Audacity of Selling Hope") by Charles Krauthammer.

No comments: