Sunday, March 11, 2007

Early Sunday Morning


Frank Rich story here. David Brooks story here.

Made the quesadillas today. They were excellent. (B. loved them.) I'd never made them before. I used some sirloin steak I'd first marinated in Teriyaki and then cooked on the Foreman grill last weekend and frozen (about a pound). I thawed that out and sliced it into thin strips. Then I threw the strips back onto the Foreman grill to heat up for a couple of minutes and let some of the juice run out. I also sliced up half a bell pepper and some onion and threw that onto the grill, separately, for about 9 minutes to cook through and get a little char. I then sprinkled some chili powder on top.

I shredded about a pound of equal parts of Monterey Jack and sharp cheddar cheese and made guacamole with one Hass avocado mashed up with a fork with some lime juice, sour cream, salt, and more chili powder.

I brushed 6 8" flour tortillas with a little canola oil and browned them on both sides (on medium low heat) in a large skillet, flattening them out with a spatula.

Then I assembled each quesadilla in the frying pan (off the burner). Atop one tortilla, I put first a layer of cheese, then strips of pepper and onion, the steak, another layer of cheese, and lastly placed a second tortilla on top of that. I then returned the frying pan to the burner. The point at this stage is basically to melt the cheese inside and generally heat everything through. To turn the quesadilla over without it falling apart (I was afraid I'd create a mess and I was a little pressed for time*), I removed it to a paper plate, then put another paper plate on top of that, then turned the whole thing over and removed it back to the frying pan with the spatula. I let it brown for a few minutes on each side with the lid on, gently pressing the quesadilla down with the spatula as I went. Ingredients make 3 quesadillas.

After slicing each quesadilla into quarters with a pizza cutter, I topped each slice with with a dollop each of sour cream, chunky salsa, and the guacamole. As B. said, excelente.
__________
*no time to hone my quesadilla flipping skills on good food that could end up on the floor

No comments: