Sunday, March 25, 2007

Sunday

(Enough of that [below].)

Made some great short ribs of beef in the crockpot this weekend. I used about 5 lbs. of ribs, 1 1/2 bottles of Open Pit barbecue sauce, a few slices of onion, a pinch of thyme, a smashed clove of garlic, a few juniper berries, and several gratings of black pepper. Easy and delicious.

Slept most of yesterday, though I did get up to prepare dinner, which, in addition to the ribs, included home-made mashed potatoes and frozen mixed vegetables. Cracked open a bottle of excellent Italian wine and finished drinking that after B. left for work. Then I went back to bed and didn't get up till 11:30 this morning. I guess I needed some sleep. I'd stayed up till the crack of dawn the previous night (not uncommon for me) working on the Doris Duke blog post. Was fun.

Recorded Rome tonite to watch later with B., while I did laundry and cleaned up the kitchen. Today I also did a minor home improvement project--seems like nothing but pleases me--affixing a shower rod in the bathroom where we shower. We had removed the grungy glass shower doors awhile back and hung up a nice heavy curtain on one of those spring rods, which gouged the walls and kept slipping and causing even more damage. So I recently found some Closet Maid brackets to hold the rod and installed them today. This will do, at least temporarily. I'd like to eventually remove the original fiberglass tub enclosure and get a porcelain tub and have the walls tiled. I have nothing against the fiberglass but it's old and not in the best of shape. I'm sure the next buyer of this place would appreciate an improvement.

Later, we watched Rome. Great ending to the series.

No comments: