Sunday, April 29, 2007

Intrigued

By this post by the South Beach Bum. I too was raised as a Methodist (as was Hillary, by the way). My great-great grandfather (on my mother's side) was a Methodist minister in Tampa. We even have (somewhere) a photo of him sitting up in his pulpit surrounded by lilies.

You may read (if you dare) the Wikipedia entry on this religion. Suffice it to say, it's a more humble offshoot of the Church of England with a traditionally more progressive bent. (I think now, however, the Church of England is probably more progressive, with the Methodists, at least in the U.S., being overrun by the anti-gay contingent--which it seems what religion in the U.S. in general has boiled down to; the religious types don't stand for much else nowadays.) At any rate, I no longer practice any religion. I'm free at last! And I was a good Methodist once upon a time.

No comments: