Saturday, June 09, 2007

Lazy Saturday Afternoon with the Krazy Kats


Made a really good lunch today. Except for corned beef, I'd never tried to cook a brisket before. I did it overnight in the crockpot and it came out great. For the liquid I used a jar of Boston Market beef gravy and about a third of a bottle of Open Pit barbecue sauce. I also added a bay leaf, a few cloves, some black peppercorns, and some mustard seed. Made a tangy sauerbraten-type gravy. I just boiled the liquid down a bit, then strained and thickened it. Served with mashed potatoes and yellow squash steamed and sauteed with onion. B. loved it. Used my new kitchen lights, too.

Watched a show on William the Conqueror, one on the (coming) Cascadia earthquake and tsunami, and now my favorite, "Sell This House". (I've seen most of them.)

In Florida we just have to worry about hurricanes and eventually being obliterated by the ocean rising due to global warming. The tsunami originating in the Canary Islands is also worrisome. I love the last shot of that show, showing the skyscrapers of downtown Miami poking up out of a vast expanse of glassy water (what happened to Miami Beach?). Here's something interesting.

No comments: