Sunday, September 09, 2007

Saturday Night Late

Unfortunately, the New York Strip steaks that were on sale at Publix turned out to be somewhat tough (and, as you know, my teeth were already hurting). I was shocked. B. was disappointed. I've bought these steaks on sale before and never had a problem.

The Bearnaise sauce was excellent nonetheless. I used a recipe from a Julia Childs cookbook. The recipe calls for shallots or scallions, but since I had neither on hand I used some red onion and a bit of garlic powder. This was the first time I'd attempted to make Bearnaise (or Hollandaise) on the glass cooktop. The stove could not have performed better. The sauce turned out flawless.

I also baked potatoes and made a side dish of steamed yellow squash and red onion, which I afterward sauteed in butter.

No comments: