Friday, September 07, 2007

TGIF

Lately I've been listening to some of The Lionel Show on Air America. He's originally from Tampa and used to practice law. Check out his bio on Wikipedia. I never knew what he looked like till just now, when I did a Google search. (I wonder if he's gay.) He made it big on radio in NYC (having been "lured" from Florida) and also had a show on Court TV. He's got a "Drunk Dial Line" (212-871-8283) and plays the drunk calls on his show--something original (as far as I know) and amusing. I can't say I really like the show, however, and only listen to it since it follows Randi Rhodes on my way home from work. I'll say this: It's great to have a good vocabulary, but trying to cram every Latinate word you know into every sentence you utter is (to me) fussy and annoying. It makes you really miss Ed Schultz (a former sportscaster who used to occupy the Lionel time slot here, inter alia).

I had a dentist appointment today and found out I do have an abscess in the tooth (the tooth has been bothering me for almost two weeks). The dentist gave me a prescription for Amoxicillin to get rid of the infection, and the tooth will be extracted next Thursday. The dentist said it's too "shaky" to be salvaged even with a root canal. The dentist also informed me that the pharmacies in the Publix markets are giving away antibiotics (including Amoxicillin), so I got it for free. I forewent my usual Friday gym routine to get it (the pharmacy closes at 9). (I took my nap afterward.) Meanwhile I did grocery shopping while at the store. I bought some beautiful New York strip steaks that were on sale (saved $5.69) and tomorrow (if I don't have to go in to work, since I'm on call) will serve them with home-made Bearnaise sauce.

I don't like to look a gift horse in the mouth, but I wonder what's motivating Publix to give away pharmaceuticals. I suspect it's a PR ploy to help stave off universal health care. So they're "socializing" medicine as a preemptive measure? What's with that?

The sunburn is still bothering me also -- my arms and tops of my knees are still burning -- but this too shall pass.

1 comment:

The Bum said...

I was sooooo expecting you to arrive at the office totally red. I feel for your pain, but honey, you sure don't look sunburned to me! ;)