Saturday, November 17, 2007

Bootsy: "Leaf Me Alone"

The amaryllis is drooping over the couch. The plant does very well inside but it won't bloom again in this climate unless I cut the leaves off the bulb and put it in the refrigerator for a month (or something). I had bookmarked a Sun-Sentinel article on how to do it but the story is no longer available. At any rate, I think it's too late in the year to do it now. I love the red ones best, and it's exciting to watch them rapidly sprout from the bulb and bloom. This is the plant around two years ago:
I'm just relaxing right now. Had a good night's sleep on the new bed, but I'm still a little tired out. Today I made boneless rib-eye steaks on the Foreman grill, along with Brussels sprouts (frozen) and home-made garlic parsley potatoes. I miss getting these at Flanigan's and have been trying to recreate the recipe ever since. Today I used some of those tiny, bite-size white-skinned potatoes, boiled them with some onion, then put them in a container with lots of fresh pressed garlic, dried (alas) parsley, olive oil, melted butter and salt and pepper, put a lid on the container and shook it till the potatoes mushed up a bit. Good but still not Flanigan's. Of course they would have been better with fresh parsley but I didn't have any on hand, and this was a spur-of-the-moment creation. I tried to find a Flanigan's recipe online but came up with nothing.

No comments: