Monday, May 21, 2007

Sunday Night/Tales from the Kitchen


Meant to tape the finale of "Desperate Housewives" for B. and me to watch later when he got home from work, but I fouled something up and it didn't get taped. Damn! Maybe we can watch it tomorrow on the Web. (Last I checked, the episode is not yet available on ABC.com.)

Since my knee was still bothering me on Friday, I'd not planned on cooking on Saturday, as I usually do. (I'd planned on ordering Chinese food and going to the hospital for x-rays.) But since my knee was miraculously healed during the night, I did cook--nothing fancy, just lean ground beef steaks and frozen mixed vegetables (very Atkins) (stuff that was already in the fridge). Last night, however, I went to the store and bought groceries.

Unless you're a total klutz in the kitchen, I do not recommend the Jennie-O frozen turkey breast that you roast frozen in its own roasting bag. I made it last night for today's lunch*. I thought it might be something special, or especially easy, but it wasn't. (The frozen gravy mix is good, however--I mixed it with the liquid left in the bag after the roast was done.) This product cost twice as much as a store-brand frozen turkey breast (which can also be put into the oven in its frozen state, though I thaw them first). The skin came out gummy from being steamed in the bag, and the meat itself was no more moist or tasty than that of the store-brand variety. I'll never buy that again.

Honestly, nothing could be simpler (or more economical**) than roasting a regular ol' turkey breast. Just baste it a bit and it comes out a beautiful golden brown. Then you add some water and gravy flour ("Wondra" or something similar) (or packaged turkey gravy mix--Knorr is good) to the drippings and have a great gravy. Not so hard.

Last night I also made fresh collard greens cooked with smoked ham hocks. Came out great! So today for lunch we had turkey with rice and gravy and the collards.

____________________

*On the weekends, I do a lot of my cooking the night before so I don't have to wake up early the next day to do it. (I'm a night owl, if you hadn't already guessed.)

**for all the lean meat you get out of it. (Tonight I made a turkey sandwich for breakfast tomorrow.)

No comments: