Saturday, August 25, 2007

TGIF

What an intense last couple of days at work, and right when it was getting to be time to leave. Glad the week's over. Whew!

Right now I have a meat loaf in the oven for tomorrow. Haven't made one in a while. I'm not really much of a meat loaf fan myself but B. likes them. So I've spent a lot of time experimenting with different recipes to create one that I really like. (B. likes them all, except the one I put hard boiled eggs in.) I use a basic salsa meatloaf recipe (a Betty Crocker recipe from the Internet) but use Italian bread crumbs (not a whole lot) and also add Worcestershire sauce and regular prepared mustard. It's got loads of flavor. And I like the way the salsa bakes on top into a thick goo (much better than ketchup). Also, I bake the meatloaf free-standing in a regular roasting pan lined with slices of bread, rather than in a loaf pan, in which the meatloaf sits and boils. I prefer a little crust on the outside. Tonight I added some fresh thyme I had in the refrigerator. We'll see what that does.

Believe it or not, I got a lot of meatloaf pointers from Steve Gilliard's blog (before Steve passed away).

No comments: