Saturday, September 27, 2008

T.G.I. Friday's Fined for HIV Discrimination

Advocate story here.

The company that owns T.G.I. Friday's restaurants has been fined $5,000 for a Virginia outlet's wrongful termination of an HIV-positive employee. Alexandria, Va., city manager James Hartmann fined T.G.I. Friday's parent company, Carlson Restaurants, for violating the city's Human Rights Code in the case of former Friday's employee James McCray, according to the Southern Voice. . . .

McCray, 39, was fired from T.G.I. Friday's on July 26, 2006, the day after he reportedly told supervisors he has HIV. The Human Rights Commission decided on July 8, 2008, that T.G.I. Friday's had wrongfully terminated him.

McCray could also file a complaint in a federal court under the Americans With Disabilities Act. . . .