Monday, September 01, 2008

Watching Gustav

Up early, but wanted to check on the hurricane in New Orleans. Fed the cats.

New Orleans is one of my favorite places. I almost went to university there (Tulane), but ended up in Virginia instead. On a family vacation when I was a minor, we stayed in the French Quarter and ate dinner at Antoine's (including Oysters Rockefeller, their invention) and breakfast at Brennan's. At Antoine's, there were no prices on the menu and the waiter didn't write anything down on a pad (which I found odd). The breadbasket was made out of woven strips of potato, which I tried to eat. We also got a tour of the wine cellar.

My mother's mother remarried after my parents married and spent her honeymoon in New Orleans. She and my step-grandfather stayed at the Court of Two Sisters. They traveled on a tramp steamer (i.e., a ship).*

New Orleans is charming and full of history and should be preserved, like Holland, which is also charming and has similar levee issues. (The whole country is below sea level.) (A propos of nothing, I'm part Dutch, but more French).

___________
*This was not the French grandmother (Rose Estelle Blondeau) but Ruth Douglas Hargrove.

No comments: