Monday, November 17, 2008

Monday night

Feels like Tuesday night, since I worked yesterday. It's going to be a long week. Fortunately next week is Thanksgiving and we have the Friday off, too (on which day I'm trying to schedule the final inspection for the kitchen remodeling project).

Arianna Huffington sitting in for Rachel Maddow tonight. You'd think she could afford to get some lessons to lose some of that heavy accent. Sorry, but I have a hard time understanding what she says. (And to think she was schooled at Oxford (or Cambridge).) She definitely shouldn't be on TV. She's a sharp person, but I think her accent is a distraction and an impediment to getting her message across. (The Gabor sisters could get away with it, since they didn't have much to say.) Arianna comes across much better in writing.

I guess some people just have a deaf ear when it comes to accents. Not to brag, but I've been told more than once, by Germans, that I speak unaccented German--though it's been a while since I've spoken it. (I still have dreams in German, however.) I got my fundamental training in German at the Goethe-Institut in Ebersberg outside of Munich, a great place to learn it. (I think that the school there has since been turned into a spa.)

(Gays appear to be good at languages, judging by the number of gays with language skills that have been booted out of the military on account of "Don't Ask, Don't Tell." And a lot of these people knew Arabic.)

I think my stomach flu is gone (I won't go into the details). Tonight I made a lean hamburger for dinner (had to add olive oil for it to fry in) and a recipe of chili to take to work. Now that the kitchen is back in order, it's time to clean out the freezer. I haven't cleaned it out since before B. left. (That'll take ten minutes.)

The water here lately has been horrible, very heavily chlorine-tasting and -smelling. See here. Since the water has been hooked back up to the refrigerator, I've been drinking the filtered water from the fridge. Before that, I went through almost all my hurricane emergency bottled water. But the hurricane season is almost over, thank God.

Weather has been beautiful. This is the time of year when South Florida really becomes almost magical.

No comments: