Thursday, November 20, 2008

Thursday night

Forget the white vase. I went back to Pier One tonight and got these white birds instead. I thought they were kind of cute and unusual. This is about 10 1/2 inches tall.

About the post below re: the health insurance companies. Ultimately, the U.S. government shouldn't be subsidizing the health insurance companies by helping the American people pay their premiums. I suspect someday that will end. Meanwhile a lot of people in the health insurance business are going to have to find other jobs or retire. My father was in the insurance business himself (and is a Republican), so I can understand the concerns of the insurance companies and their employees. Time for a change, progress, whatever.

I think insurance is a great business (but not when it comes to health care). When I went to Europe after high school, my father got me an appointment with someone at Lloyd's of London (in London), who showed me around Lloyd's, including the main floor, where they ring the bell to signal a disaster (such as the sinking of a ship). (I saw the bell--it's brass. It didn't ring.)

Now that I have my kitchen back (almost), I've been filling the apartment with wonderful cooking smells. The last two nights, I've made myself an egg fried in butter. (At least I can eat again--after that intestinal flu.) You can imagine how upset I was when the minute the kitchen became operable again, I couldn't eat anything but crackers and bananas.

One more day of work, and I'm off for two days. The electrician is coming in on Saturday between 10:30 and 1:30 to finish up the work in the kitchen and install the ceiling fan in this room.

No comments: