Thursday, January 15, 2009

Platitudes

I did end up watching the speech. What a self-serving little ditty. I thought it was sappy and pathetic, and found myself rolling my eyes. Here it is. Mercifully, it's short. A stilted reading of a vapid, threadbare speech. (Now scram, you!)


"We must never let down our guard," but he did. I guess he had to learn that "on the job"--and at what expense. He came into office and immediately set about planning the invasion of Iraq, ignoring the threat from Al Qaeda, about which he'd been warned in no uncertain terms from the very moment he got into office. (See here too. Remember Bush's 8/6/2001 President's Daily Brief entitled "Bin Laden Determined to Strike U.S.," which came way after Clinton's brief entitled "Bin Ladin Preparing to Hijack US Aircraft and Other Attacks"?) And then came the events of 9/11, on Bush's watch.

Here's Chris Matthews' reaction to the speech. Watch this one if you don't want to watch Bush (I can sympathize). (At least we'll never have to avoid watching Bush speechify on the airwaves again.)


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ok, I fess up, I didn't watch and instead chose to watch the rerun of "The Daily Show" at 8pm ( from the night before ) because when one has a choice between Jon Stewart and 43, it's a no brainer.
I must say that the header line on the post about Joan Walshs' article made me burst out laughing.." a festival of self-pity and delusion" - I couldn't have said it better..I only hope the kids studying American history in 10 or 20 years get to read the truth about this man and not the revisionist crap that will undoubtedly be attempted.