Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Inauguration Day

Yea!

Wouldn't you know: my Obama/Biden inaugural lapel button was sitting in its package on my chair this morning when I got in to work. I'd ordered it a few weeks ago from the Obama campaign. I opened the package and put the pin on right away. (Later I scanned it--above.)

Our office recently installed a flat-screen TV in the main lunch room, plus we have them in the large conference rooms. Today, the office manager invited us to watch the inaugural ceremonies on the TVs beginning at 11:00, with pizza to be served at noon. It was standing room only in the lunch room. Never in all my years of employment has the office management celebrated a presidential inauguration. That goes to show you how historic this day truly was.

Here's the swearing in:

(The oath of office, as set out in Article II, Section I of the Constitution, reads as follows: "I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.") (Chief Justice Roberts tried to recite it from memory and botched it, but no harm done.)

Full text of the inaugural address here.

No comments: