Saturday, January 24, 2009

Saturday afternoon

Got up early for the condo meeting. Not that interesting but glad I went. Now that the president of the association keeps in touch with most (or a lot) of the unit owners via email, we pretty much know what's going on here from week to week or month to month. I did find out, however, that I'll get reimbursed for the $200 check I wrote to hire the new lawyers to get rid of the receiver. (We had to raise cash ourselves for the retainer, since the old receiver of course would not have approved the expense.) With the receiver now gone, the condominium should have a higher rating when it comes to potential buyers and owners getting financing. (Before the current credit crunch, I had been turned down for a home equity line of credit myself, solely because the building wasn't on the bank's approved list.) (My credit rating was 784.)

Also I found out that the new lawyers will be charging delinquent unit owners directly for their attorneys' fees, rather than charging the condominium association. I think we were paying something like a $7,000/month retainer to the other lawyers.

The new building manager, who's been here a year now, said that when she came on board there were something like 89 code violations--now there are 3 or 4. She's very good, and honest.

I had three (or four) doughnuts and left the minute the meeting was adjourned. Then came up the elevator and went back to bed.

The day is pretty much shot, but the weather is nice outside. I think I'll head over to Starbuck's, then have dinner up the street at T.G.I. Friday's.

No comments: