Thursday, March 25, 2010

Almost TGIF

I'd not had a good Cuban sandwich since my favorite Cuban restaurant downtown suddenly closed a few months ago for "personal reasons." (It was rumored that they were shut down for employing illegal aliens.) (Since then, I don't think I'd had a Cuban sandwich at all.) Meanwhile, just down the street from here, a Cuban restaurant opened and then closed before I had the chance to try it out.

Well, recently that restaurant had a grand re-opening "under new ownership," so today, on my walk from the far bus stop after work, I stopped in there. This was before 7:00. The place seemed to be doing a fairly good take-out business, and some people were seated outside on an inviting covered deck just off the street. (Nobody was dining at the tables inside.) I figured the food must be fresh and ordered both a Cuban sandwich and a pork sandwich (pan con lechon) to take home. Didn't have to wait long. The tab came to $9.98. My bag of sandwiches was pretty hefty and I couldn't wait to get home and try them.

Not five minutes later I was noshing on the Cuban sandwich. It was the fattest Cuban sandwich I'd ever had -- maybe twice the ingredients of my old favorite -- and absolutely delicious (though it could have remained in the sandwich press a little longer to get hotter, and I'd told them repeatedly I was in no rush). I ate half of that sandwich and then tried the pork (doused first with Crystal hot sauce). That, too, was enormous, and delicious. I couldn't finish half of it -- I was getting full -- and wrapped up the remains in Glad Wrap and aluminum foil for tomorrow.

No comments: