Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Wednesday night

Considered going to the gym tonight but decided to stay home instead. After a quick trip to the grocery store, am cooking lunch (for work). (I did get my walk.) Making that chopped steak again with ground round on sale, chopped fresh onion, a package of onion soup mix, a little water, garlic powder and Worcestershire sauce. Should come out good.

Beef brisket was also on sale (it being Passover). I don't think I've ever cooked one (aside from corned beef brisket). Been researching easy recipes online. I think I'll use, again, onion soup mix, plus a can of mushroom soup. This gets wrapped up in foil and roasted for 3 - 3 1/2 hours. A Jewish friend of mine from way back used onion soup mix and ketchup. That sounds good but I'll opt for a less sweet treatment.

Speaking of sweet, ate too much of that at work today. Some leftover baked goods from a luncheon, plus it was birthday cake day (Carvel ice cream cake -- my favorite). Glad I took my walk.

Chopped steaks came out great. (Too salty last time.) The trick is to crumble the raw ground beef into the mixing bowl and then gently toss with the other ingredients, so that the mixture does not get overly compacted. Otherwise it comes out tough. (Maybe I should try this with ground turkey.) (Never cared for it, but then I probably didn't season it right.) (Yes, flavoring it with beef sounds good!)

Here's a recipe:

BEST BRISKET EVER
1 pouch Lipton onion soup mix
1 jar chili sauce
1 can regular Coke
1 lg. untrimmed brisket

Put brisket in roasting pan, fatty side up. In bowl, mix soup mix, chili sauce and Coke. Pour over brisket. Cover roaster and bake in 300 degree oven for at least 5 hours. Remove brisket from gravy and slice diagonally. Skim fat off gravy and serve as sauce for the meat.

Chili sauce (like ketchup) and Coke. How sweet does it have to be?

Time for "Sheer Genius."

OK, the old TV has been on Craig's list for a month now and nobody's interested. Have to make arrangements to have it hauled out of here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If you want to be "green" about the disposal of your old TV, there are county "toxic" waste stations you can take it to.