Saturday, August 09, 2008

Olympics TV blackout

A reader writes:

I am appalled (or at least concerned) regarding the old American audacity by our media that would describe their coverage of the Olympic opening ceremonies in China as being brought to the U.S. consumer "live" when in fact the event took place this morning. China is 12 hours ahead of us. The blackout by other news media sources (traditional network/cable) just adds to this erroneous conception. To knowingly confuse an American people that sometimes are unaware of the time differences just to gain a larger audience to sell more beer and soap brings our capitalism into the range of what is more important: the sale of the latest gizmo or the latest news reported in a timely manner. As far as I can discern, the rest of the world watched the event in real time.

I don't think I'll be watching much of the Olympics myself. They don't really interest me. I would like to have seen the opening ceremonies, however, but I had to go to the gym.

No comments: