Saturday, January 03, 2009

TGIF!

The week is over. Whew. Today felt like a Monday, but thank God it was Friday.

Made it through the holidays with barely a scratch--I have some kind of cold now. It's mostly a head cold. Hope it doesn't get worse. Went to the gym tonight but left after three sets of exercises, since my sinuses were throbbing. All this started today, or maybe yesterday. Today I ate very well and took my vitamins, as always. We'll see what happens with this.

Watching "Extreme Loggers" on Discovery (it's a "Best of"). I'd never seen the program before. It's interesting. I didn't realize they still used mules (they use them to pull the logs out of the woods up to the road, where they can be loaded onto a truck).

I love the remote-controlled ceiling fan here in the computer room, but apparently I'm not the only one in the building controlling it. Sometimes I wake up in the morning and it's going, and I could swear I turned it off the night before. Today, e.g., I came home from work and it was going, and I know I turned it off this morning before I left. At first I thought it was me forgetting to turn it off, since it's a new toy, but I even started making a written note at night before going to bed that I'd turned the fan off.

Obviously someone in an apartment in my vicinity has a remote control that is affecting my fan. (Ironically, I'd installed the fan here to save money on A/C, and now the fan turns itself on and runs for hours while I'm not even in here. ) (I wonder how much that's costing me.) I did a little research tonight on Google. It's what I had thought--I'll have to re-set the dip switches in both the remote control and the receiver unit inside the fan. But before I do that, which will entail borrowing a ladder and unscrewing the fan from the ceiling, I'll call the fan company to get some suggestions on how best to reconfigure the dip switches to avoid the problem. (UPDATE on Saturday: Today I located the breaker-box switch for this room, and will shut the power off before I go to bed or work until I reconfigure the dip switches.)

I don't have this problem with the kitchen ceiling fan, since I can cut the power off to the fan from a wall switch, even though it too is on a remote control. I don't have the fan on a wall switch in the computer room, however.

Now we're on to helicopter logging (and I'm about ready to saw some logs myself--SORRY). About snooze time.

No comments: