Friday, August 01, 2008

Crappy week turned out OK

I'd really been hoping to see some progress here in the kitchen, but it was not to be. At the beginning of the week, I learned that another permit--in addition to the electrical--would have to be obtained from the city before the electrical work could be done, which is holding everything up. To make a long story short, that set me back another $425, and today I had the application faxed to me to sign and have notarized and send back to them.

If I hadn't called the contractor today to follow up, this wouldn't have gotten accomplished and the process would have stalled further. The person I spoke with at the contractor's office said I hadn't yet paid for the permit (I had--on Wednesday). She then looked it up on the computer and, sure enough, she saw that I had. Then she was going to mail the application to me and I asked her to fax it instead (which she did). Then she said to mail it back to her (I FedExed it so they'll get it on Monday). This project has got to get back on track ASAP.

Work was also kind of crazy, on top of everything else. Yesterday I called in sick and slept all day long. I was kind of depressed but felt better after talking to my friend in Canada last night. Today went well, however, although I was on pins and needles all day long since I'd decided to leave the cats together rather than shut Lucky up in the bedroom. I felt it was time they could be together--there hadn't been any confrontations lately, largely because Lucky has learned to steer clear of Bootsy and knows his escape routes. Also, I'd noticed Bootsy has become more accepting of Lucky.

When I got home, Lucky was lying high up on top of a kitchen cabinet in the living room. But he immediately hopped down and stood near Bootsy, both of them waiting for their supper.

I took a nap before going to the gym. Bootsy jumped up on the bed before I went into the bedroom (as he often does). He knows I'm going to take a nap when I close all the blinds. Lucky wanted to play or say hello to him and Bootsy sat there unfazed, just looking down at him (vs. attacking). I was happy to see that.

When I woke up from my nap, Lucky was lying beside me on the bed, a couple of feet from Bootsy. This arrangement would not have worked out two weeks ago. You see Bootsy just yawning.

Fortunately, this picture doesn't show all the bags of kitchen stuff sitting against the walls, all around the room.

I was also disappointed this week that I hadn't gotten a call from someone who said he'd call, someone I've known for years. Oh well. That kind of heightened my loneliness. And then I had a nice dream about B. How things have changed since February 2nd. Also I got a short story rejected by The New Yorker. I have to stop sending stuff there. They only accept submissions from already famous people. I'll have to find other outlets. Meanwhile, maybe I'll go back to writing poetry again (that was my major in college).

Also this past week, I'd been anxious about a monthly prescription delivery, but that turned out to be hassle-free (not always the case, to put it mildly).

No comments: