Monday, April 06, 2009

Monday night

I didn't make it to my friend's "entombment" today. Someone else in my department was already taking the day off for her uncle's funeral, and we are short-staffed as it was. I plan on visiting the mausoleum at some point in the future. (I also have relatives there.)

The weather here has been unseasonably warm and muggy lately. Today it was a record-high 92 degrees F. (33.333 C.). But tonight a cold front is supposed to come through. I heard on the news tonight that it will be in the 40s in places by Tuesday. (That's between 4.444 and 10 C.)

This morning at the bus stop, I tuned in to the Stephanie Miller Show and was shocked to hear that it had been replaced with a sports show. Later I went online to find out that 940 AM -- once a progressive station and Air America affiliate -- had become "The Sports Animal." I was horrified. I emailed Stephanie about it later. (Maybe now that Obama has won, the show's audience has shrunk in this market. Who knows?) What a trashy website ("Hot Chicks," "Chicks with Sticks"--whatever that means.) (Sounds pretty close to "chicks with dicks.") I guess I can download Stephanie's podcasts. I'd been listening to her every weekday morning for the past few years. I looked forward to it. It's hilarious, and she has a lot of prominent guests (Debbie Wasserman Schultz, Frank Rich, Wes Clark, to name a few).

Stephanie's father, by the way, had been a lawyer at the Nuremberg trials, and Barry Goldwater's running mate for president. The Republican Party today is not her father's party, she points out. Her politics are now Democratic--she was a big Obama supporter (I supported Hillary). (But I can relate.)

No comments: