Saturday, April 25, 2009

TGIF

Slow news night. So I'll talk about food.

Back at the gym tonight, then the grocery store. Cubed steaks on sale; marinating now in wine, oil, garlic powder, soy sauce, cumin, ginger, etc. Sirloin tip roast on sale; bought one. I have loads of food here; have to freeze spaghetti sauce. The other night I bought some Locatelli Pecorino [sheep's milk] Romano cheese for the sauce--it was over $17/lb. I hadn't bought any in well over a year, but it was never that expensive. The Reggiano Parmesan was $23/lb. I prefer the Romano--the wedge I bought was $11. Fortunately, a little goes a long way.

Bought some of that StarKist "SeaSations" frozen fish that's been advertised on TV lately. Will give that a try. That was over $5 for 11.4 oz. I used to buy another brand of frozen, microwaveable, non-breaded fish filets, but they discontinued it, at least where I shop. These are very well suited to cooking in the microwave and come out good. I also used to buy frozen marinated chicken breasts that had the imprimatur of and/or were created by a beauty queen/celebrity (can't remember her name--pretty famous in her day). Those were good and easy to prepare, but they also discontinued them. Chicken breast can also come out good in the microwave if not overcooked. If anyone can think of the beauty queen's name, please let me know. I did a search on the Internet earlier and couldn't find anything. (Maybe I'll think of her name later.)

I'm thinking about buying skinless, boneless chicken breasts the next time they come on sale, tenderizing them with the manual tenderizer utensil, and then marinating them in plastic bags with various marinades--barbecue sauce, lemon juice, bleu cheese, etc. I could throw them in the freezer and pull them out as needed. (The celebrity lady had mesquite barbecue, bleu cheese, and lemon-herb varieties, etc.)

No comments: