Monday, April 06, 2009

President Obama On American Exceptionalism

From Big Tent Democrat here. (Read it all.)

As a believer in American Exceptionalism, I am well aware of how arrogant the phrase sounds. So kudos to President Obama (via Steve Benen) for his terrific answer to a question on American exceptionalism:

A reporter asked President Obama an interesting question yesterday: "[C]ould I ask you whether you subscribe, as many of your predecessors have, to the school of 'American exceptionalism' that sees America as uniquely qualified to lead the world, or do you have a slightly different philosophy?"

[OBAMA:] "I believe in American exceptionalism, just as I suspect that the Brits believe in British exceptionalism and the Greeks believe in Greek exceptionalism. I'm enormously proud of my country and its role and history in the world. If you think about the site of this summit and what it means, I don't think America should be embarrassed to see evidence of the sacrifices of our troops, the enormous amount of resources that were put into Europe postwar, and our leadership in crafting an Alliance that ultimately led to the unification of Europe. We should take great pride in that.

"And if you think of our current situation, the United States remains the largest economy in the world. We have unmatched military capability. And I think that we have a core set of values that are enshrined in our Constitution, in our body of law, in our democratic practices, in our belief in free speech and equality, that, though imperfect, are exceptional.

* * *

No comments: