Wednesday, February 18, 2009

'Dixie Lounge'

A couple of years ago, the nearest gay bar closed down. It had been in decline for a number of years, and then a bartender was shot and killed in a senseless robbery and the place went kaput. It was about a five minutes' drive from here and I'd been stopping in there for years and had a lot of buddies there. It was located on W. Dixie Highway, but originally located on U.S. 1, just north of 135th Street (now a BankUnited parking lot). It was the only gay bar around. I really miss the place and seeing "my people."

Someone recently told me that the space on W. Dixie had reopened, so tonight I was in the neighborhood and drove by and got out of the car. The place was named the "Dixie Lounge; Sports Bar." The outside lights were on and there was a sign on the door advertising Happy Hour till 8:00, seven days a week. "Sports bar" of course means straight bar, but I wanted to peek inside just the same. I walked up to the door, and it was locked (I tried it again, and it was locked). I guess the place didn't make it.

It was kind of sad, but I'm glad I went by there, just to satisfy my curiosity. I'd hoped that I would open the door and see some of my old buddies sitting inside, like the "good old days," but no.

No comments: