Sunday, February 01, 2009

Later

Now watching "Prince Among Slaves" about this person.

How sad. I needed a good cry. Timbuktu, above, where the prince had been educated in Arabic.

Timbuktu is assumed to have had one of the first universities in the world. Local scholars and collectors still boast an impressive collection of ancient Greek texts from that era.[4] By the 14th century, important books were written and copied in Timbuktu, establishing the city as the centre of a significant written tradition in Africa.

I love the architecture. "Timbuktu's vernacular architecture is marked by mud mosques, which are said to have inspired Antoni Gaudí." It doesn't rain there a lot, so I guess mud is OK. (It looks fantastic.) (I'm from South Florida, so I'm a little skeptical about building materials. I live in a pre-Hurricane Andrew building myself, made out of solid concrete.)

Love the clothes. These people are I assume Muslim and the women aren't covered up from head to toe in dreariness.

Here's a shot from Indonesia, "the most populous Muslim-majority nation in the world."

No comments: