Saturday, May 09, 2009

'Priest's confession: I'm in love'

This is a big story here. I saw the Miami Herald headline over at Starbucks. "Speaking to reporters for the first time since a celibacy scandal broke, the Rev. Alberto Cutié said he is considering marriage and a family."

After confessing his love for the mystery woman he was caught with on a South Florida beach, the Rev. Alberto Cutié says he is ready to consider taking the relationship to the next level.

Marriage and children are a definite possibility, he told The Miami Herald late Friday.

''I'm not going to rush into marriage. I know all about that,'' said the man who has counseled countless couples preparing for weddings. ``But I would like to have a family and at the same time serve God.''

Does that mean he will leave the priesthood?

''My struggle has gone on for close to a year. It wasn't a matter of if, it was a matter of when,'' he said. ``You cannot be a married priest in the Roman Catholic Church. I have friends -- Episcopalian bishops, Baptists, friends in the American Bible Society -- and they have shown me that it is possible to do both.'' . . .

Cutié is scheduled to appear on CBS' The Early Show at 7 a.m. Monday. Early Show co-anchor Maggie Rodriguez, a former anchor at Miami's WFOR-CBS 4, will do the interview. . . .

''I'm a man,'' he said. ``Under the cassock there are pants.''

(See video of rally at the link above.) (See Miami's own Rick Sanchez et al. below.) (Click on photo above to enlarge--it says "Holy God!".)

So the Catholics (God bless them) are just now getting around to seeing that celibacy isn't such a good thing? (I say this as a someone reared as a Protestant but also as a celibate these days.)

No comments: