Friday, May 08, 2009

TGIF -- I DO believe in...

This evening at nap time, right when I was about to fall asleep, I felt two soft taps of a cat's paw on my right shoulder. Now wide awake again, I felt up on the pillow to the right of my head, where Lucky often sleeps. He wasn't there; he was on my left side, farther down the bed, asleep.

It didn't feel like a muscle spasm, although I considered that. (I can readily tell the difference between a muscle spasm and being tapped by a cat.) And it was only two identical, measured, soft taps, not rapid, irregular twitches.

What was it? Don't think I'm crazy, but I think it was Lucy, who passed away last June 30th. And this wasn't the first time something like this has happened on the bed when I've been trying to take a nap since Lucy died. On several occasions, I've felt motion around me on the bed, like a cat padding through the bedspread, and I've reached out to the source of the motion and nothing was there. And I thought it must be Lucy, since that's exactly what she used to do. (After I lay down, she would get up on the bed and nap with me, after padding through the covers to find her spot and then go to sleep at my right side, near my head.)

I talked about this with a co-worker a couple of weeks ago and she said that something similar happened to her, in bed, with her deceased dog.

* * * *

Anyway, after the nap, I was back at the gym (weighed 171), the store, and Starbucks with a new magazine that came in the mail today.

Rachel Maddow on the Republicans' "bold new strategy": "not changing at all."

No comments: