Saturday, May 16, 2009

Saturday night

Earlier I made chili for dinner, but I still have leftovers from last week, including quite a bit of roast beef, and I wasn't sure what to do with it. I could have sliced it up for sandwiches, or made hash, but I decided to do something different: Make a spread.

When I was growing up, my parents made it, using a cast-aluminum meat grinder that clamped onto the kitchen table. I didn't have a meat grinder, however. (And I didn't want to use the food processor, for fear that it would turn out too mushy.) So tonight, after first checking out Target, I headed up to Bed Bath & Beyond and found a meat grinder. (Not as nice as the one my parents had, but it'll do.) I just ran it through the dishwasher, and tomorrow I'll make the spread.

(The meat grinder was $39.99 but I used a 20%-off coupon to get it.)

(And I'm not going to screw it onto my new counters. I'll screw it onto a wooden TV tray.)

Tonight I found a few recipes online. They're all made with mayonnaise (which my parents used), but the flavorings are different. I think I'll make it with horseradish and fresh onion. (I think my parents made it with sweet relish, which was also good.) Tomorrow I'll have to run out and get some horseradish, however, since it appears I'm fresh out.

No comments: