Thursday, April 15, 2010

Almost TGIF!

Got off the bus at Home Depot and walked up to the shopping center at 123rd Street to check out optical CD drives at Office Max by Walgreens. I need one to back up my netbook computer. The cheapest one was $79. (They had them at the Office Depot up the road, where I dropped off the computer last night, for, I believe, $69.) I then walked across the street to the Office Depot there and I didn't see any. (Yes, there is an Office Max and an Office Depot directly across the street from one another.) I finally asked someone in the store and he pointed to something (and there was only one lonely thing sitting on these particular shelves) that didn't seem to be exactly what I was looking for, and it was more than $69. The person wasn't very helpful and I gave up. I guess I'll buy the drive up at the other Office Depot.

I'd planned on walking home but it looked like rain, so I caught the next bus.

Right now I'm pressure-cooking another corned beef brisket. I'd not planned on getting another one any time soon, but they were still on sale from St. Patrick's Day ($2.49/lb.). You can't beat that, even if it shrinks. This one weighed 5 1/2 lbs. I had to cut it in two to fit inside the pressure cooker.

[Later] Corned beef turned out great! Perfect. Shrank like hell, though, which was to be expected. I don't pressure-cook often, and getting a steady burst of steam going is a bit tricky. After a false start, I finally settled on #6 on the burner, at which point I cooked it for an hour longer. Then I boiled some Brussels sprouts in the liquid. Taking some of that to work for lunch tomorrow. Have fresh horseradish to go with the meat.

I found an Acer Aspire CD burner on Amazon for $40-something and ordered it. Free shipping.

No comments: