Tuesday, April 06, 2010

Tuesday evening

Last night I bought some boneless shoulder steaks (on sale for $3.79/lb.) to prepare for lunch. I don't think I've ever bought these before. On the package it says to marinate them 6 to 24 hours, then grill them. That's what I'll do. I always like to use something sweet in my marinade, along the lines of jam or preserves, so I think I'll add some of those sugar-packed dried fruit I bought last week (by mistake, I realized, after I read the labels).

Used dried cranberries and dried strawberries. Meat is marinating. Tomorrow I'll broil them in the Foreman Grill. Meanwhile, ants had got inside the dried pineapple so I threw it out.

I have since found dried fruit without added sugar (apricots, apples, peaches, pears and prunes).

Just to show you how irrational, fearful and paranoid some people are around here, I heard today that some people in the Cuban exile community are extremely upset that Gloria and Emilio Estafan are hosting President Obama at a reception at their home this month (to which I've been invited). The person said, however, that he/she trusts the Estefans' judgment (i.e., if they like Obama, then he can't be all that bad). The person then said that so long as Obama doesn't kick Rush Limbaugh, Bill O'Reilly and Glenn Beck off the air, this person could tolerate him. I couldn't believe my ears. I said Obama could never do that, that we're a nation of laws, that we have a Constitution, etc. The person then said, well, Cuba had laws, too, and look what happened: Castro came in and took over the airwaves. I then said, well, Obama is not a Communist and this isn't a Communist country. Jeez, Louise! These people are so woefully misinformed, listening to all the crap spewn on Fox News, and God only knows what poison they're fed by the local Spanish radio stations.

No comments: