Saturday, June 13, 2009

Abandoning the AMA

Physician cites New Yorker story by Atul Gawande. By Mary at The Left Coaster here.

Dr. Chris McCoy resigns from the AMA.

In reading the response, I was frustrated and disheartened by the fact that you couldn't get through the second paragraph before bringing up the issue of physician reimbursement. This merely highlights how the AMA represents a physician-centered and self-interested perspective rather than honoring the altruistic nature of my profession. As a physician, I advocate first for what is best for my patients and believe that as a physician, as long as I continue to maintain the trust and integrity of the profession, I will earn the respect of my community. The appropriate financial compensation for my endeavors will follow in kind.

I encourage the AMA leadership to read Atul Gawande's recent article describing how physician culture drives up the cost of health care without benefiting patient outcomes. At the heart of this problem are physicians who have a vision of themselves as money-generating profit centers rather than professionals serving the public good. The AMA represents, and encourages, this mindset with its single-focus on physician reimbursement over all other health care reform issues.

Here! Here!

Read the physician's entire letter (follow link). (Unfortunately it could have benefited from some copy editing.) And by all means read Atul Gawande's article, you have haven't already.

No comments: