Friday, June 26, 2009

Acer customer review at Consumer Reports Online

Very good little computer

By Tim
from Sonoma, CA on 5/13/2009

Pros:
160 GB hard drive, Bright screen, Fast start up, Light, Long Battery Life, Priced right, Take anywhere

Cons:
No optical drive built in, Smaller keyboard

Best Uses:
Internet searches, email, Light work

How long have you owned it:
A month or less

Bottom Line:
Yes, I would recommend this to a friend

Got this for my wife. I have the new Macbook Pro with bells and whistles for my work. I was considering getting her a little Macbook, but she doesn't need that much computer (for the $$$). She does mostly Internet searches, insurance claims, Medicare, banking, ordering products, printing recipes, etc. She had a 2001 Dell laptop but it kept dropping her wireless connxj and was SLOW. So that's the comparison. I got her an Acer Aspire One netbook to try. It's been great. Sure, it's limited, but it does a lot. The Intel Atom processor works well and is fast to load from start (which she liked about my Apple.) She can print from it wirelessly. It stays connected. Battery life is MUCH BETTER than my Macbook Pro (5 hrs.+) It has Windows XP Home OS which works fine and allows all the tweaks and adjustments. The screen is bright, crisp, and VERY nice ... it's glossy, but she can use it outside during the day. I'm used to the MBPro screen, but I'd give the Acer screen brightness and crispness a B+. Yes, its small, 10 inches, but workable. Web pages have to be expanded. Hook up an external mouse and it's even easier to use. You can type on it AOK, too. Emails can be typed. You wouldn't want to work on it all day, but in a pinch, you could. I bought an accessory pkg that included the mouse, a nice slipcase, and an optical drive. (It has no built-in CD/DVD drive, of course.) Anyway, I bought it with the idea that she would try it and return it. Wrong. We're very impressed. It's a cool little product for what it does and for the money. I guess you can add another 1 GB RAM but it ships AOK as is. Comes with AC adapter with an adequate cord. Gave it 4 stars cuz its a little netbook, but otherwise no reservations.

No comments: