Saturday, July 04, 2009

Saturday night

Didn't watch much of the fireworks tonight, and you can see quite a few displays from the terrace--all the way from Bal Harbour to Miami Shores and beyond.

I spent hours online checking out flights and places to stay in Savannah. First I have to make sure my neighbor will be around to take care of the cats while I'm gone. I plan on flying out on a Monday and back on Friday. I checked out flight-plus-hotel deals on Priceline. You can do better if you put the package together yourself. Also--and this is very important--Priceline doesn't tell you anything about your flights (other than, e.g., that you leave between 6 a.m. and 10 p.m. and might have one stop on the way) until after you pay for the package. There appears to be only one non-stop flight to Savannah from here, and I'd definitely take that, even though I would get there at night. That's OK--I'm a night person. (And free breakfast is a negative factor, since I don't plan on waking up early for breakfast.) I hope to hear back from my neighbor ASAP. I'm planning on doing this Labor Day week or the following.

I'm looking for a room in or very close to the Historic District, since I won't be getting a car and plan on doing a lot of walking. Also I'd like free internet in the room (a lot of them have it; some don't guarantee it; others charge for it). And it has to be smoking. Also, it looks like I can get a discount with my AAA card. (Believe it or not, I got a huge discount on eyeglasses at LensCrafters several years ago by producing my AAA card--I had to go back to the car to get it.) (I've since stopped going to LensCrafters since their prices were getting way out of line.) (I was shocked when they told me how much the glasses were going to be, much higher than the last pair I'd bought there just a couple of years before.)

My supervisor encouraged me make these plans this weekend. They want me to take a vacation. Now that the money pit seems to be closing up here (vis-a-vis the kitchen remodeling), I'm no longer afraid to make some plans. I hope to have most of the vacation paid for before I go.

Had warmed-over pizza for lunch, warmed-over roast beef with lousy McCormick onion gravy and frozen mixed vegs for dinner, a bunch of cherries, and then another slice of pizza.

No comments: