Sunday, August 02, 2009

Saturday night late

By the way, this cleaning of the living room got rid of the last of Home Depot's remnants from the kitchen renovation--molding and kick-plate materials that had been sitting on the floor under the bar-top and which I removed to the storage locker. So, Home Depot is out of here at last, unless they come to caulk around the sink. I have to find out about that next week. I've been involved with Home Depot since last May and just want to move on.

Before doing the cleaning, I had two cups of coffee over at Starbucks. Actually the weather was pretty nice -- nice breeze, not really hot. Hardly anybody was there so I got a good well-shaded seat. (This was around 7:00, so the sun was already going down.) I enjoyed it. Read some. I haven't finished the article, but I was kind of surprised that Michael Savage was getting such a sympathetic treatment by The New Yorker (because he's from New York? Jewish?). He's a reactionary and vehemently anti-gay and -everyone else. From Wikipedia here.

Four months later, on July 7, Savage was fired from his MSNBC television show after remarks made in response to a caller, later identified as prank caller Bob Foster, who insulted Savage's teeth. Savage then asked if Foster was a "sodomite", to which the caller answered, "Yes, I am." Savage then said to the caller, "Oh, so you're one of those sodomites. You should only get AIDS and die, you pig; how's that? Why don't you see if you can sue me, you pig? You got nothing better to do than to put me down, you piece of garbage? You got nothing to do today? Go eat a sausage, and choke on it. Get trichinosis. Now do we have another nice caller here who's busy because he didn't have a nice night in the bathhouse who's angry at me today? Put another, put another sodomite on....no more calls?...I don't care about these bums; they mean nothing to me. They're all sausages." [32] [33]

The New Yorker treats that kind of stuff as quirky. They say he gets taken out of context. (I'd like to know the context he was taken out of in the above. It seems like a pretty straightforward diatribe to me.) (I doubt some of his best friends are gay.)

There's also this from Wikipedia:

One postcard mentions his desire to photograph Ginsberg in a provocative way, though Savage states that this correspondence is actually a forgery created by homosexual detractors.[1]

Love the color-coordinated outfit and the makeup (?). (Click on photo to enlarge.)

I'll be sore tomorrow from the cleaning. I was down on my butt on the floor with the scrub brush and the rag. (Had to take wet clothes off.) I've got this down to a science but it doesn't make any more fun. Cats are glad it's over.

Next, I need to scrub down the floor on the terrace. It's covered with that clumping cat litter which I shake out of the throw rugs (and which has clumped to the tiles). That stuff is really sticky but softens up and can be removed with a little elbow grease.

No comments: